Our staff work hard in trying to help our patients in need of medical assistance and to deal with the huge demand for our services. By having a number of systems and procedures in place, we try very hard to get things right for our patients but from time to time, unfortunately, we may fail.

When we do fail to meet expectations, feedback from patients is helpful so that we can try and avoid making mistakes in the future.

If you have a complaint about the service you have received from any member of staff working in the practice, please let us know. East Norwich Medical Partnership operates a complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints and this meets national criteria. This is called local resolution.

If you wish to make a formal complaint you can write to our practice manager Lisa Vandepeer at:

Sprowston Primary Care Centre
Aslake Close


How To Complain In The First Instance

In the first instance, we would encourage you to discuss your concerns with the staff member directly at the time they arise as most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily.

Where the issue cannot be solved at this stage, any reception or administration team staffing or process issues should be referred to our staff manager, Tracy Hickford. You may contact Tracy and she will endeavour to resolve your complaint at this stage.

If you wish to raise any concerns about a clinical member of staff, please contact Lisa Vandepeer, practice manager, in the same way.

Our named complaints lead is Dr G Bastable.

Acknowledgement and Investigation Of Your Complaint

If you wish to raise a formal complaint, please let us know of your concerns within a matter of days of the incident. This will allow us to get a clear picture of the circumstances surrounding your complaint.

If doing this is not possible your complaint should be submitted within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem, or within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem. You should be as specific and concise as possible in outlining your concerns.

We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days and aim to have looked into your complaint within 25 working days of the date that you raised it with us. At this stage you should be offered an explanation or a meeting with the person(s) involved.

When we look into your complaint we aim to:

  • Ascertain the full circumstances of your complaint
  • Make arrangements for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Identify what the practice can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

If we are unable to meet this timescale or need more time to investigate your concerns we will provide you with an estimate of a revised timescale.

The practice regularly reviews complaints received, actions taken and looks at recommendations and learning points. We also provide an annual report to NHS England about the complaints that we have received.

If you raise a complaint it is practice policy to ensure you are not discriminated against, or subjected to any negative effective on your care, treatment or support.

How Do I Complain On Another Persons Behalf?

We keep to the strict rules of medical confidentiality. If you are not the patient but wish to complain on his or her behalf, you must have his or her permission to do so. You will need to complete a third party consent form and the patient concerned will need to sign this. Please note that consent may be checked with that person.

Consent may not be required if you are making a complaint in the name of:

  • A deceased person
  • Someone who lacks the capacity to make their own decisions due to accident, illness or mental capacity
  • A non-Gillick competent child

What If I Don’t Want To Complain Directly To The Practice?

If you feel unhappy with complaining directly to the practice, you may prefer to contact NHS England directly:

NHS England Customer Contact Centre – East Anglia Team
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT


Telephone: 0300 3112233

I Would Like Some Help With Making My Complaint

POhWER or Independent Complaint and Advocacy Service (ICAS) is a charity that provides an information advocacy and advice service, across England offering direct and local support via professionals and volunteers. This independent, free service reaches individuals struggling with particular challenges in their lives and includes assistance with those who have concerns about their NHS care or treatment.

More information can be found at:

PO Box 14043
B6 9BL

Telephone: 0300 456 2370

Text: send the word “powher” with your name and number to 81025



Taking It Further

If you have already complained to the surgery and have been unhappy with the response, NHS England will not re-investigate the same concerns.

In this instance, you may contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman:

Millbank Tower

Telephone: 0345 015 4033 from 08:30-17:30 Monday to Friday


Care Quality Commission

If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried out by this practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission.

Telephone: 03000 616161



Other Useful Organisations

Data Protection

Patients should be aware that should a complaint be made the practice may need to provide information about the patients and the treatment they have received to insurers or legal advisers.